Douglas Gibson was born in 1888 and studied medicine at St Thomas’ Hospital, London, subsequently qualifying as a surgeon in Edinburgh. Twenty-seven years as a medical missionary in China were brought to a sudden end by the Second World War, and he then worked for four years at a large tuberculosis hospital in Canada.
He was introduced to homeopathy in 1936, and in 1946 came to study it at the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, where he became a member of the Outpatients staff. He also had a private practice in London. In 1972 he retired to Canada, where he died in 1977.